On Wed, Aug 17, 2022 at 02:02:57PM +0100, Luca Boccassi wrote:
>                               It's really a lot of work for nothing,
> given the risk is really zero - it's a new command line program that is
> inhert and doesn't do anything until it's called manually...

On this point, I disagree. The risk is that there's an issue with the
new binary, and you end up having to SRU it again to fix those issues,
and so on. Sometimes the nature of such fixes impact risk in other
areas, or to now-established behaviour. Or you don't fix it, and users
expecting quality from the archive get a poorer experience than they
would have had the binary not been added.

On the other hand, putting this in a PPA or in the backports pocket[1]
is easier from the risk perspective. So I'd really like to see a proper
justification of why it is necessary to put this in the updates pocket.

[1] Subject to backports policy as set by the backporters team, though
it crosses my mind that for the project as a whole it's probably lower
risk to make an exception for the backports pocket than the updates
pocket.