BACKGROUND :

Most of these data-card devices now
have two logical devices inside
one physical device.

(a) usb-storage-device

This contains/serves the driver software
that poor windoze users must install
(but not required for Ubuntu/Linux).

(b) usb-modem-device.

This is invariably the "ttyUSB0" communciation
device required by Ubuntu/Linux.

SUSPECTED PROBLEM :

The problem (often) is that the "storage-device"
of these data-cards seems to interfere with
Ubuntu/Linux ability to automagically
detect, configure or utilise the "usb-modem-device"
on the data-card.

SOLUTION :

Assuming that the storage device is the issue,
then it can be resolved by installing
and activating usb-modeswitch.
Please google for instructions to install
and use usb-modeswitch on Ubuntu.
It is fairly simple and often a one-time process.
Package is installed via synaptic-package-manager.

I have had successes on two Ubuntu support calls
with this approach, and thereafter do this
as default for all data-cards where I know
it has some storage. (most of the current
EVDO and 3G usb devices have the driver
software on that storage).

Good luck.
VK/TechNife