Suji and all

The binary can be installed into Karmic but the PPA build is tagged
specific to Lucid so there is a problem

i.e., Even after adding for APT Line in Software Sources in Karmic,
the following

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/suji87-msc/ppa/ubuntu karmic main

an user won't see the package hunspell-ta in Synaptic PM and also teh
command  "sudo apt-get install hunspell-ta" won't find the package to
install  (Of course this is not an issue in Lucid).

Here are the solutions for Karmic:

Solution 1. User downloads the deb and installs:

i) Download using following command from the current directory (say
user's home directory)

wget
https://launchpad.net/~suji87-msc/+archive/ppa/+files/hunspell-ta_20100330-0ubuntu1_i386.deb

ii) Install with following command (with sudo) :

sudo dpkg -i hunspell-ta_20100330-0ubuntu1_i386.deb

iii) After installation can check to see in Synaptic Package Manager
that hunspell-ta package has been installed

While the above solution 1 works, it is not the ideal one, if  PPA
maintainer (in this case Suji) releases frequent updates and an user
wants to keep up with updates, then since there is no entry in APT
line for binary sources pointing to Lucid, the user is not going get
them through updater automatically.

So:

Solution 2: To automatically keep up with updates

In Karmic, under Software Sources now also add the APT line of binary
source for Lucid branch - i.e. Add the following

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/suji87-msc/ppa/ubuntu lucid main

Then continue with other steps shown by Suji

This is sufficent and ok if the PPA maintainer does not also supply
from the same PPA, updates of any other pacakge for Lucid which might
be conflicting with the same installed in Karmic.

However in such case that conflicting updates of other packages are
also supplied then, it is better that PPA maintainer uses more than
one PPA. For example in case of the suji87-msc PPA, first (primary)
PPA for iok (for which PPA is no longer needed from Lucid onwards),
second PPA for hunspell-ta, thrid for another and so on.  Launchpad
has no-limits on number of PPA's an Ubuntero can create and for each
PPA, 1GB space is provided.

Other option (when same PPA is used for all pacakages)  is to get the
PPA's build-farm to build for Karmic and Lucid separately - it doesn't
need much additional work from the maintainer !

~Sethu