Hello,

I was wondering if anyone shares my opinion, that phones in general are not very convenient when it comes to typing. Something I find most annoying is when I need to position cursor by touching between letters to correct misspelled word (especially letter "i" is difficult to touch around).

I started thinking what would be ideal text editor for phone.

So far I saw nice solution in android, when you do not have to touch cursor itself but a little round thing right below it, so you can see exactly it's current position right above your finger.

I saw once other solution where on touching the screen while in typing mode, little window showing what is under your finger currently would show right above your finger (a bit like Windows magnifier) - so again you can see exactly where cursor position is at that moment.

I would like to suggest another solution, where when entering typing space (say you enter your details on the website or something) than window-like pane opens above your keyboard, where typing is done (with a button "Done" when you are done typing). In that window you would be able to enlarge your text, and maybe even navigate by touch: e.g. swipe left - cursor moves left by character, swipe and hold, cursor moves by a word. Swipe up - move cursor by line up. After you are done typing, or if you are not happy with this input method, press done, and you still are able to type as normal.

Third idea I have is to use gesture for cursor navigation: tu use - touch and hold anywhere in your keyboard, and with the other finger start swiping outside the keyboard area - that would be kind of equivalent of mouse movement. So if you swipe up (while "holding keyboard") cursor moves up - say one line for each 2 millimetres of your swap - same for sideways moves). Holding keyboard with two fingers would act as "select text".

Let me know guys, what you think. I think no phone came yet with good cursor navigation, and maybe this would be move right direction. If there is Ubuntu suggestion-box, let me know where, and what would be category of such a suggestion, as I would like to see it device-wide rather than only in web browser or messaging.