Public bug reported:

I'm not the original author of the question, but I've got the exact same
problem (Acer Aspire One, 1280x720 + 1440x900 external); this is the main thing
that keeps me on Lucid (it's the gf's laptop I am experimenting with)

Hello,

I'm working with a portable computer, with another screen attached to
the vga port.  I work with both screens.

I updated Ubuntu desktop from 10.10 to 11.04.  After the update, both
screens were corrupted, excepted the upper bar.  When I've disconnected
the external monitor and rebooted, everything worked file.  Each time I
tried to reconnect the external monitor, both screens were unreadable,
excepted (sometimes) the upper bar and the new launchbar at the left of
the screen.

If i "shake" the mouse on the screen, some fields are redrawn and become
visible.

I've then installed 11.04 from scratch (reformat and reinstall).  The
problem is the same.

The screen on the portable computer is 1400x1050, and the external
screen is 1680(?) x 1050

[Just for completeness, my home directory is on another partition.  So
if something about displays were written to that directory by ubuntu
10.10 (and is now incompatible with 11.04), I don't know were it is, and
don't know how to remove it.

** Affects: xorg (Ubuntu)

  everything on screen is garbled apart from the top bar (2 monitors,
  different resolutions, unity, natty)