I still can't resume after suspending using  Ubuntu 12.04 beta-1 with
updates installed. But my computer doesn't (always) freeze on resume.
Yesterday, I could see the login screen flashing by repeatedly with
noise in between (couldn't log in of course). On a second attempt,
numbers kept scrolling by at high speed, one of the system logs I
assume. No disk activity the second time. The first time, the login
screen pauzed and disk activity ceased briefly if I pressed Ctrl-Alt-F1
to Ctrl-Alt-F7 (could have been coincidence though, the screen pauze
didn't always work).  I'm a bit nervous about a forced shutdown while
there's a lot of disk activity.

Can anyone else reproduce this?

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in Ubuntu.

  [RC410] Xpress 200M hangs when resuming from suspend with DRI, with or
  without KMS