Same problem here: can't display both on the laptop screen and on an external
monitor. Laptop screen alone is ok; when plugging the external monitor with
VGA, I can only use that external monitor.
It used to work. Dell Latitude E5410, i915 driver.

There are quite a lot of this in Xorg.0.log:
[   614.160] (WW) intel(0): flip queue failed: Device or resource busy
[   614.160] (WW) intel(0): Page flip failed: Device or resource busy

When using xrandr:
% xrandr --output eDP1 --auto --output VGA1 --auto --same-as eDP1
xrandr: cannot find crtc for output eDP1

When using gnome-control-center display, dmesg says:
[  107.800350] [drm:drm_crtc_helper_set_config] *ERROR* failed to set mode on
[CRTC:3]

I can test experimental packages or workarounds if needed. :-)

  only external screen is working with asus zenbook ux31e