I run Ubuntu 17.10 but I use Xorg instead of Wayland by default.

When I play some MP4 videos using VLC the entire system seems to freeze
but I still can move the mouse cursor (only keys and mouse buttons have
no effect any more).

The key combination Ctrl+Alt+F1 however still works - using this
combination I can log in with a different user.

Logged in as the other user everything works.

The only possibility to get the first user running again is to kill the
Xorg X server.

(Even killing VLC won't work.)

For this reason I assume that a bug in the X server is the problem.

which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  playing .mp4 in VLC freezes machine