Hi Gursimran,

yes, I'm positive that this bug doesn't affect VT. I tested it again and
again, the pointer moved properly throughout the test.

Again, since the pointer can be recovered by Alt-F7 (or Alt-F8), it's
unlikely a synaptics bug. More likely, it's an X bug but only triggered
by some types of touchpad.

xev log clearly shows the bug, position root:(0,0) never changes with
MotionNotify events.

As I mentioned, when the pointer is trapped at root:(0,0), the touchpad
basically works, I can still tap-2-click, xev records MotionEvents as
well. This explains how I took the xev log mentioned.

still, is there a way to make X more verbose on events?

--
Pointer stuck in upper-left corner while using touchpad on the upper left
corner in emachines 2350