Hi,

I wrote a Latin characters input method using the key translation
tables found in Emacs.  Recently I moved to Italy, and I tried to
write accented letters with the composition key prefixes, but I did
not like this method.

On the other hand, the Italian input method built in Emacs was very
intuitive to me, at least for two reasons.  First, it works very much
like Korean input.  You don't need to signal the beginning of a
composition with an extra key stroke.  Second, in the case of a
postfix method, the procedure is closer to the order of handwriting.
For example, when you write "รจ" by hand, you first write "e" and then
add the accent "`".  With italian-postfix method, you do the same:
type "e" and then "`".

For these reasons, I ported to uim the key tables from latin-post.el,
latin-pre.el, and latin-alt.el in GNU Emacs 22.  The scheme files can
be found at
http://www.tuhep.phys.tohoku.ac.jp/~jhpark/uim/
There are three files: elatin.scm (for emacs-latin) the main file,
elatin-rules.scm containing the rk rules, and elatin-custom.scm.
Could you take a look at them before I commit them?

I have a few questions regarding this module.

(1) The user can change the translation table in the preference
dialog.  The scheme variable is elatin-rules, and this holds the name
of one of the rules-list variables.  But, I wonder how to change the
rule of an rk-context (a member of elatin-context) on the fly.  I
thought of using custom-set-hooks, but the hook function does not know
which elatin-context to operate on since it does not have an argument.
One solution might be to poll for a change of the variable
elatin-rules after every key stroke, and reinitialize rk-context when
a change is detected.  Is there a better way?

(2) The key tables were derived from GNU Emacs, and so I put a GPL
notice at the beginning of elatin-rules.scm.  But, I am not sure which
copyright notice should be used for the other two files.  For the
moment, I copied the usual (new BSD?) license.

Happy New Year to everybody!
Best wishes,
Jae-hyeon

Google Groups "uim-en" group