I never left Linux, so for me it's always been an improvement (my past clients include pine, mutt, emacs-mail).   But i can imagine it's rude awakening.

I do go back between the online and thunderbird version of our umd.edu google access,and generally I cannot find things in the browser version as easily as in thunderbird.

So I continue to use  thunderbird, though the biggest drawback is also its strong point: you have control over the mail folders you want to keep on your local hard drive. Useful if you're not online (murphy's law tells you this will come very handy)

Minor risk factor:  DIT.    The 2FA authentication was recently broken, but fixed a few days later.   If it's a linux issue, DIT might give this a lower priority than in win/mac :-(

- peter