Hello,

If anyone is interested, I've figured out how to run the Cygwin installer without
AutoIT.

You may already be aware that Cygwin's setup.exe takes a few command-line options
including -q for quiet; as is noted on the Unattended web site, they don't seem to
be very useful.  I got a CVS version of setup.exe to dump help to a log file; these
where the items I noted for my own purposes:

  -q quiet install

  -R cygwin root directory

  -l local package direcotry

  --no-desktop  don't make a shortcut on the desktop

It turns out that the current stable Cygwin setup.exe takes the same paramters, but
the behavior is *very* strange.  The GUI still starts up, but never prompts the user
and
instead just rattles ahead with a set of defaults.  I was stumped for a few hours
because there didn't seem to be a way to set a lot of the most important defaults.  The
-R and -l switches described above are great but what about selecting an install from
local
disk rather than from the Internet?

Well Cygwin setup.exe is even stranger than I would have guessed:  It reads its
defaults for
root and local package directory from the log it creates in
$CYGWIN_ROOT/var/log/setup.log!  Later it creates a $CYGWIN_ROOT/etc/setup and stores
some
variables in files there:

  $ find etc/setup/
  etc/setup/
  etc/setup/last-action
  etc/setup/last-cache
  etc/setup/last-connection
  etc/setup/last-mirror
  etc/setup/timestamp

  $ cat last-action
  Install

I haven't played around with all of those files, but if you create a setup.log that
contains lines like these:

  2004/02/10 19:48:29 source: from cwd
  2004/02/10 19:48:30 root: c:\cygwin binary system
  2004/02/10 19:48:31 Selected local directory: C:\Documents and
Settings\ADMINI~1\Desktop

and make sure that the last-action file contains the string "Install" then you can run

  setup.exe -q -R %CYGWIN_ROOT% -l %LOCAL_REPOSITORY%

and the setup program will install without any human interaction.

I'm working out the specifics for doing this with Unattended, and I will post my .bat
scripts
etc.

Hope this was helpful!
Seth de l'Isle