Hi,

We have a data structure that stores points in a point cloud (X, Y, Z,
attributes) and we have been approached about replacing the current memory
store with Arrow. The issue is that the current data store also has a set
of pointers (indirection) that allows for things like subsetting and
sorting while keeping the data in place. All data is accessed through the
indirection table. What people typically want is to export one or more of
these data sets specified by the pointers.

My understanding is that Arrow doesn't support such a scheme as the point
of the structure is to allow SIMD and other optimizations gained by
processing contiguous data. Am I missing something in my reading of the
Arrow docs? Does anyone have thoughts/recommendations, or is Arrow just not
a good fit for this kind of thing?

Thanks,

--
Andrew Bell