Just as a simple example, if we’re shipping a table of events that has a
year, month, and day column, and it’s sorted by time, then each column will
have long runs of duplicate numbers that would benefit greatly from
compaction.

It looks like REE is already built into the standard and supported by the
C, Go and Python apis.  Would be awesome to have this support in Java as
well!

Thanks,
Elliott