Hi,

There is no straightforward way to do that. First of all, the error you are
getting is because you are trying to start new application (
env.fromElements(items) ) inside your reduce function.

To do what you want, you have to hash partition the products based on category
(instead of grouping by and reducing) and after that either:

1. Sort the hash partitioned products and implement custom OutputFormat (maybe
based on FileOutputFormat), that would start a new file when key value has
changed.

Or

2. Implement custom OutputFormat (maybe based on FileOutputFormat), that would
keep multiple opened files - one file per category - and write records
accordingly.

Note that both options require first to hash partition the products. 1. Will be
more CPU and memory consuming (have to sort the data), 2. Can exceed the
maximum number of simultaneously opened file if number of categories is very
high.

Piotrek