Team wants an integration test, I'm not sure what unit test you had in
mind. Actually feel that I've been trying to avoid the reporter method but
that would be more end to end.

The documentation for metrics and Scala are missing with the exception of
Gauge:
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.3/monitoring/metrics.html
. Should I file a issue against that?

Then it leaves you guessing a little bit how to implement Counters. One
approach tried was using objects

object PointFilter extends RichMapFunction[...

  @transient lazy val someCounter =
getRuntimeContext.getMetricGroup.counter(...)

This allowed access to the counter before and after execution . However
between the unit tests the Counter kept its value also and that's a no for
the test. Think that might be an issue with ScalaTest.

I've tried to get at the counter from some other directions like trying to
find a way to inject a reporter to get it's state. But don't see a way to
do it. So probably the best thing to do is fire up something to collect the
metrics from the reporter.