Hi,

I am trying to figure out what are the exact semantics of flume with respect to event ordering. I'm interested in both single agent and multi agent setups.

The current documentation (http://flume.apache.org/FlumeUserGuide.html) doesn't seem to mention anything about this topic.

Older documentation and posts to this mailing list, seem to suggest that flume doesn't guarantee in order delivery of events, but also seem to suggest that "it depends".

for example:

- https://github.com/cloudera/flume/wiki/FAQ (last topic)
- http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/flume-user/201210.mbox/%3c507be336.6000...@cyberagent.co.jp%3e

Can somebody clarify this for me? If flume doesn't generally guarantee in order delivery, is it still achievable with a more restricted set of features? Or is this simply not a good idea, and should I look elsewhere with these kinds of requirements (or relax my requirements)?

Thanks in advance,
Jan