The file offset is considered in WebHDFS redirection.  It redirects to a
datanode with the first block the client going to read, not the first block of
the file.

Hope it helps.
Tsz-Wo

On Monday, March 17, 2014 10:09 AM, Alejandro Abdelnur <t...@cloudera.com>
wrote:

actually, i am wrong, the webhdfs rest call has an offset.

>Alejandro
>(phone typing)
>
>On Mar 17, 2014, at 10:07, Alejandro Abdelnur <t...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>

>dont recall how skips are handled in webhdfs, but i would assume that you'll
>get to the first block As usual, and the skip is handled by the DN serving the
>file (as webhdfs doesnot know at open that you'll skip)
>
>Alejandro
>(phone typing)
>
>On Mar 17, 2014, at 9:47, RJ Nowling <rnowl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>Hi Alejandro,
>>

>>The WebHDFS API allows specifying an offset and length for the request.  If I
>>specify an offset that start in the second block for a file (thus skipping
>>the first block all together), will the namenode still direct me to a
>>datanode with the first block or will it direct me to a namenode with the
>>second block?  I.e., am I assured data locality only on the first block of
>>the file (as you're saying) or on the first block I am accessing?
>>

>>If it is as you say, then I may want to reach out the WebHDFS developers and
>>see if they would be interested in the additional functionality.
>>

>>Thank you,
>>RJ
>>

>>On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 2:40 AM, Alejandro Abdelnur <t...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>>
>>I may have expressed myself wrong. You don't need to do any test to see how
>>locality works with files of multiple blocks. If you are accessing a file of
>>more than one block over webhdfs, you only have assured locality for the
>>first block of the file.
>>>

>>>Thanks.
>>>

>>>On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 9:18 PM, RJ Nowling <rnowl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>Thank you, Mingjiang and Alejandro.

are redirected to the corresponding datanodes. It uses the full
bandwidth of the Hadoop cluster for streaming data.
built-in component of HDFS. It runs inside Namenodes and Datanodes,
therefore, it can use all HDFS functionalities. It is a part of HDFS –
there are no additional servers to install