I had tried checkAndPut yesterday with a null passed as the value and it had
thrown an exception when the row did not exist. Perhaps, I was doing something
wrong. Will try that again, since, yes, I would prefer a checkAndPut().

________________________________
 From: Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Cc: Rahul Ravindran <rahu...@yahoo.com>
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2013 4:36 AM
Subject: Re: Using HBase for Deduping

On Feb 15, 2013, at 3:07 AM, Asaf Mesika <asaf.mes...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Michael, this means read for every write?

Yes and no.

At the macro level, a read for every write would mean that your client would
read a record from HBase, and then based on some logic it would either write a
record, or not.

So that you have a lot of overhead in the initial get() and then put().

At this macro level, with a Check and Put you have less overhead because of a
single message to HBase.

Intermal to HBase, you would still have to check the value in the row, if it
exists and then perform an insert or not.

WIth respect to your billion events an hour...

dividing by 3600 to get the number of events in a second. You would have less
than 300,000 events a second.

What exactly are you doing and how large are those events?

Since you are processing these events in a batch job, timing doesn't appear to
be that important and of course there is also async hbase which may improve
some of the performance.

YMMV but this is a good example of the checkAndPut()