I tried both hbase shell's major_compact cmd and java api
HBaseAdmin.majorCompact() on table name.
They don't flush the memstore on to disk, compact cmd seems not doing that too.

I hadn't read enough related code, While I am wondering, is that because there
are size threshold before a memstore is flushed? Then a user invoked compact
don't force to flush it?

Best Regards,
Raymond Liu