Hi

        Say, I have four field for one record :id, status, targetid, and count.
        Status is on and off, target could reference other id, and count will
record the number of "on" status for all targetid from same id.

        The record could be add / delete, or updated to change the status.

        I could put count in another table, or put it in the same table, it
doesn't matter. As long as it can work.

        My question is how can I ensure its correctness of the "count" field
when run with multiple client update the table concurrently?

        The closet thing I can think of is checkAndPut, but I will need two
steps to find out the change of count, since checkAndPut etc can only test a
single value and with EQUAL comparator, thus I can only check upon null
firstly, then on or off. Thus when thing change during this two step, I need to
retry from first step until it succeed. This could be bad when a lot of
concurrent op is on going.

        And then, I need to update count by checkAndIncrement, though if the
above problem could be solved, the order of -1 +1 might not be important for
the final result, but in some intermediate time, it might not reflect the real
count of that time.

        I know this kind of transaction is not the target of HBASE, APP should
take care of it, then , what's the best practice on this? Any quick simple
solution for my problem? Client RowLock could solve this issue, But it seems to
me that it is not safe and is not recommended and deprecated?

        Btw. Is that possible or practice to implement something like PutAndGet
which put in new row and return the old row back to client been implemented?
That would help a lot for my case.

Best Regards,
Raymond Liu