If your client caching is set to a large value, you will need to do a long scan
occasionally, and the rpc itself will be expensive in terms of IO. So it's
worth looking at hbase.client.scanner.caching to see if it is too large. If
you're scanning the whole table check you aren't churning the block cache.

The XML below looks wrong, was that copied verbatim from your site file?

https://richardstartin.com