Hi Josh,
it doesn't have to. However, your table does not specify any input format,
which makes Hive use the default HiveIgnoreKeyTextOutputFormat (see
http://grepcode.com/file/repository.cloudera.com/content/repositories/releases/org.apache.hadoop.hive/hive-exec/0.7.1-cdh3u1/org/apache/hadoop/hive/ql/io/HiveIgnoreKeyTextOutputFormat.java
).

What's the bigger picture, meaning, what is the actual format you want to
write down to disk ?

If you're storing it in text format, your SerDe's serialize method has to
return either a Text or a BytesWritable, as you can see in the code linked
earlier. It looks like it's returning a DocumentWritable object, which
HiveIgnoreKeyTextOutputFormat does not know how to handle.

R.

Good judgement comes with experience.
Experience comes with bad judgement.
Roberto Congiu - Data Engineer - OpenX