When doing dynamic partitioning, Hive needs to look at each record and
determine which partition to place it in.  In the case where all records go
to the same partition, it is more efficient to tell Hive up front, that is,
to use static partitioning.  So you can use dynamic partition for large
files, it will just take more processing power and time.

Alan.