In case somebody runs into the same situation, the key seems to be in the
CandidateItemStrategy being passed to the constructor
of GenericItemBasedRecommender. Looking into the code, if no
CandidateItemStrategy is specified in the
constructor, PreferredItemsNeighborhoodCandidateItemsStrategy is used and
as the documentation says, the doGetCandidateItems method: "returns all
items that have not been rated by the user and that were preferred by
another user that has preferred at least one item that the current user has
preferred too".

So, a different CandidateItemStrategy needs to be passed. For this problem,
it seems to me that AllSimilarItemsCandidateItemsStrategy,
AllUnknownItemsCandidateItemsStrategy are good candidates. Does anybody
know where to find some documentation about the different
CandidateItemStrategy? Based on the name I would say that:
1) AllSimilarItemsCandidateItemsStrategy returns all similar items
regardless of whether they have been already rated by someone or not.
2) AllUnknownItemsCandidateItemsStrategy returns all similar items that
have not been rated by anyone yet.

Does anybody know if it works like that?
Thanks.