I don't follow what here makes you say they are "cut down" releases?
They are release plus patches not release minus patches.

The question is not about how to use 0.7, but how to use 1.0-SNAPSHOT.
Why would switching to the "official" 0.7 release help?

I think the answer is "you build Mahout for Hadoop 2". right? This has
always been the case. Mahout has always been Hadoop 1, with 2 support
"on the side".