Got it. The tool is great!

What confuses me is that its usage is not like the Text tool or Pen tool.

Is it possible to make it work like the Text tool:
1) When I click the Math formula tool, it does nothing, but enable the Tool
properties, so that I can set some properties like color and size.
2) When I click the whiteboard, it pops up the Math formula panel. I type
something, and now I know if I finished, I could click Update to update the
rendering.
3) Maybe this tool could also support flexible text like the Text tool.

Thank you for the help!