This interests me too. I asked Cloudera in their community forums a while back
but got no answer on this. I hope they don’t leave us out in the cold. I tried
building it too before with the instructions here
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PHOENIX-2834. I could get it to build,
but I couldn’t get it to work using the Phoenix installation instructions. For
some reason, dropping the server jar into CDH 5.7.0 HBase lib directory didn’t
change things. HBase seemed not to use it. Now that this is out, I’ll give it
another try hoping that there is a way. If anyone has any leads to help, please
let me know.

Thanks,
Ben