Here’s an example of getting together all lines in a file as one string:

$ cat dir/a.txt
Hello
world!

$ cat dir/b.txt
What's
up??

$ bin/pyspark
>>> files = sc.textFile(“dir”)

>>> files.collect()
[u'Hello', u'world!', u"What's", u'up??’]   # one element per line, not what we
want

>>> files.glom().collect()
[[u'Hello', u'world!'], [u"What's", u'up??’]]   # one element per file, which
is an array of lines

>>> files.glom().map(lambda a: "\n".join(a)).collect()
[u'Hello\nworld!', u"What's\nup??”]    # join back each file into a single
string

The glom() method groups all the elements of each partition of an RDD into an
array, giving you an RDD of arrays of objects. If your input is small files,
you always have one partition per file.

There’s also mapPartitions, which gives you an iterator for each partition
instead of an array. You can then return an iterator or list of objects to
produce from that.

Matei