Yeah, this is definitely confusing. The motivation for this was that different
users of the same cluster may want to set different memory sizes for their
apps, so we decided to put this setting in the driver. However, if you put
SPARK_JAVA_OPTS in spark-env.sh, it also applies to executors, which is
confusing (though in this case it wouldn’t overwrite spark.executor.memory
AFAIK).

We want to clean a bunch of this stuff up for 1.0, or at least document it
better. Thanks for the suggestions.

Matei