Exceptions should be sent back to the driver program and logged there (with a
SparkException thrown if a task fails more than 4 times), but there were some
bugs before where this did not happen for non-Serializable exceptions. We
changed it to pass back the stack traces only (as text), which should always
work. I’d recommend trying a newer Spark version, 0.8 should be easy to upgrade
to from 0.7.

Matei