That work is under submission at an academic conference and will be made
available if/when the paper is published.

In terms of algorithms for hyperparameter tuning, we consider Grid Search,
Random Search, a couple of older derivative-free optimization methods, and
a few newer methods - TPE (aka HyperOpt from James Bergstra), SMAC (from
Frank Hutter's group), and Spearmint (Jasper Snoek's method) - the short
answer is that in our hands Random Search works surprisingly well for the
low-dimensional problems we looked at, but TPE and SMAC perform slightly
better. I've got a private branch with TPE (as well as random and grid
search) integrated with MLI, but the code is research quality right now and
not extremely general.

We're actively working on bringing these things up to snuff for a proper
open source release.