"looks like Spark outperforms Stratosphere fairly consistently in the
experiments"

There was one exception the paper noted, which was when memory resources were
constrained. In that case, Stratosphere seemed to have degraded more gracefully
than Spark, but the author did not explore it deeper. The author did insert
into his conclusion section, though, "However, in our experiments, for
iterative algorithms, the Spark programs may show the poor results in
performance in the environment of limited memory resources."

I recently blogged a fuller list of alternatives/competitors to Spark:
http://datascienceassn.org/content/alternatives-spark-memory-distributed-computing