ok, we figured it out.  It is a bit weird, but for some reason, the
YARN_CONF_DIR and HADOOP_CONF_DIR did not propagate out.  We do see it in
the build classpath, but the remote machines don't seem to get it.  So we
added:
export SPARK_YARN_USER_ENV="CLASSPATH=/hadoop/var/hadoop/conf/"

and it seems to have worked.  We also made it work by adding this:
export SPARK_YARN_DIST_FILES=$(ls $HADOOP_CONF_DIR* | sed 's#^#file://#g'

which distributed the conf dir to all machines.