Ethan, you're not the only one, which is why I was asking about this! :-)

Matei, thanks for your response. your answer explains the performance jump
in my code, but shows I've missed something key in my understanding of
Spark!

I was not aware until just now that map output was saved to disk (other
than if explicitly told to do use using persist.)  It raises almost as many
questions as it answers.

Where are the shuffle files saved?  Locally on the mapper nodes?  Is it the
same location that disk-spilled cache is saved to?  Doesn't the necessity
of saving to disk result in increased i/o that would slow the job down?  I
thought part of the goal of Spark was to do everything in memory unless the
user specifically chose to persist...thereby making a choice to incur
time/disk space expense up front in return for fast failure recovery?

Not that I'm complaining, mind you, but I do think people should be made
clear....this not only affects performance, but also, for instance, whether
the data is fresh/out of date.  I had assumed if I did not set caching,
that each time I performed an operation on an RDD, it would re-compute
based on lineage, including re-reading the files...so I didn't have to
worry about the possibility of my file content changing.  But if it's
auto-caching shuffle files, my base files won't get re-read even if the
content has changed. (Or does it check timestamps?)

Thanks,
Diana