Laurent the problem is that the reference.conf that is embedded in akka
jars is being overriden by some other conf. This happens when multiple
files have the same name.
I am using Spark with maven. In order to build the fat jar I use the shade
plugin and it works pretty well. The trick here is to use an
AppendingTransformer that will merge all the resource.conf into a single
one.

Try something like that:

<plugin>
                <artifactId>maven-shade-plugin</artifactId>
                <version>2.1</version>
                <executions>
                    <execution>
                        <phase>package</phase>
                        <goals>
                            <goal>shade</goal>
                        </goals>
                        <configuration>
                            <minimizeJar>false</minimizeJar>

<createDependencyReducedPom>false</createDependencyReducedPom>
                            <artifactSet>
                                <includes>
                                    <!-- Include here the dependencies you
want to be packed in your fat jar -->
                                    <include>my.package.etc....:*</include>
                                </includes>
                            </artifactSet>
                            <filters>
                                <filter>
                                    <artifact>*:*</artifact>
                                    <excludes>
                                        <exclude>META-INF/*.SF</exclude>
                                        <exclude>META-INF/*.DSA</exclude>
                                        <exclude>META-INF/*.RSA</exclude>
                                    </excludes>
                                </filter>
                            </filters>
                            <transformers>
                                <transformer
implementation="org.apache.maven.plugins.shade.resource.AppendingTransformer">
                                    <resource>reference.conf</resource>
                                </transformer>
                            </transformers>
                        </configuration>