Hi

In my opinion, running HBase for immutable data is generally overkill in
particular if you are using Shark anyway to cache and analyse the data and
provide the speed.

HBase is designed for random-access data patterns and high throughput R/W
activities. If you are only ever writing immutable logs, then that is what
HDFS is designed for.

Having said that, if you replace HBase you will need to come up with a
reliable way to put data into HDFS (a log aggregator like Flume or message
bus like Kafka perhaps, etc), so the pain of doing that may not be worth it
given you already know HBase.

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 9:33 AM, Limbeck, Philip <philip.limb...@automic.com