There is no fundamental issue if you're running on data that is larger than
cluster memory size. Many operations can stream data through, and thus
memory usage is independent of input data size. Certain operations require
an entire *partition* (not dataset) to fit in memory, but there are not
many instances of this left (sorting comes to mind, and this is being
worked on).

In general, one problem with Spark today is that you *can* OOM under
certain configurations, and it's possible you'll need to change from the
default configuration if you're using doing very memory-intensive jobs.
However, there are very few cases where Spark would simply fail as a matter
of course *-- *for instance, you can always increase the number of
partitions to decrease the size of any given one. or repartition data to
eliminate skew.

Regarding impact on performance, as Mayur said, there may absolutely be an
impact depending on your jobs. If you're doing a join on a very large
amount of data with few partitions, then we'll have to spill to disk. If
you can't cache your working set of data in memory, you will also see a
performance degradation. Spark enables the use of memory to make things
fast, but if you just don't have enough memory, it won't be terribly fast.