Indeed I see a lot of duplicate package warning in the maven-shade assembly
package output, so I tried to eliminate them:

First I set scope of dependency to apache-spark to 'provided', as suggested
in this page:
http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/submitting-applications.html

But spark master gave me a blunt dependency not found error:
scala/collection/Seq
        at ... [my main object]

Then I revert it back to 'compile' to see if things got better, but after
which I again saw duplicates of packages, then random errors (like
NoSuchFieldError, IllegalStateException etc.)

Is setting scope = 'provided' mandatory in deployment? I mere remove this
line for debugging locally.