Now I see the answer to this.

Spark slaves are start on random ports, and tell the master where they are.
then the master acknowledges them.

(worker logs)
Starting Spark worker xxxx:43282

(master logs)
Registering worker on xxxx:43282 with 8 cores, 16.5 GB RAM

Thus, the port is random because the slaves can be ephemeral.  Since the
master is fixed, though, a new slave can reconnect at any time.

--
jay vyas