I guess this is better explained in the streaming programming guide's
<http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/streaming-programming-guide.html#transformations>
window operation subsection.

For completeness sake, its worth mentioning the following. Window
operations can be applied on other windowed-DStreams as well. So the
correct thing to say is that the slide duration of the window operations
must be a multiple of "sliding interval" of the parent DStream. For simple,
non-window dstream, this sliding interval is same as the batch interval

// say batch interval is 2 seconds
inputstream                                // moves every batch interval 2
seconds
inputstream.window(Seconds(3))  // not allowed, must be multiple of 2
seconds
inputstream.window(Seconds(4))  // allowed, moves every 2 seconds
(therefore sliding interval is 2 seconds)
inputstream.window(Seconds(10), Seconds(4))    // allowed, moves every 4
seconds (therefore sliding interval is 4 seconds)
inputstream.window(Seconds(10), Seconds(4)).window(Seconds(6))    // not
allowed, as window interval must be multiple of parent's sliding interval
which is 4 seconds
inputstream.window(Seconds(10), Seconds(4)).window(Seconds(8))    // allowed

Hopefully that made sense :)

TD