It's really more of a Scala question than a Spark question, but the standard OO
(not Scala-specific) way is to create your own custom supertype (e.g.
MyCollectionTrait), inherited/implemented by two concrete classes (e.g. MyRDD
and MyArray), each of which manually forwards method calls to the corresponding
pre-existing library implementations. Writing all those forwarding method calls
is tedious, but Scala provides at least one bit of syntactic sugar, which
alleviates having to type in twice the parameter lists for each method:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8230831/is-method-parameter-forwarding-possible-in-scala

I'm not seeing a way to utilize implicit conversions in this case. Since Scala
is statically (albeit inferred) typed, I don't see a way around having a common
supertype.