Hi Sean,
Thanks for clarifying. I re-read SPARK-2420 and now have a better understanding.
>From a user perspective, what would you recommend to build Spark with Hive
>0.12 / 0.13+ libraries moving forward and deploy to production cluster that
>runs on a older version of Hadoop (e.g. 2.2 or 2.4) ?
My concern is that there's going to be a lag for technology adoption and since
Spark is moving fast, the libraries may always be newer. Protobuf is one good
example, shading. From a biz point of view, if there is no benefit to upgrade
the library, the chances that this will happen with a higher priority is low
due to stability concern and re-running the entire test suite. Just by
observation, there's still a lot of ppl running Hadoop 2.2 instead of 2.4 or
2.5 and the release and upgrade is depending on other big players such as
Cloudera, Hortonwork, etc for their distro. Not to mention the process of
upgrading.
Is there any benefit to use Guava 14 in Spark? I believe there is usually some
competitive reason why Spark choose Guava 14, however, I'm not sure if anyone
raise that in the conversation so I don't know if that is necessary.
Looking forward to seeing Hive on Spark to work soon. Please let me know if
there's any help or feedback I can provide.
Thanks Sean.