Thanks for responding. I used the pre built spark binaries meant for
hadoop1,cdh3u5. I do not intend to build spark against a specific
distribution. Irrespective of whether I build my app with the explicit cdh
hadoop client dependency,  I get the same error message. I also verified
that my  app's uber jar had pulled in the cdh hadoop client dependencies.