I'm sure this must be a fairly common use-case for spark, yet I have not
found a satisfactory discussion of it on the spark website or forum:

I work at a company with a lot of previous-generation server hardware
sitting idle-- I want to add this hardware to my spark cluster to increase
performance! BUT: It is unclear as to whether the spark master will be able
to properly apportion jobs to the slaves if they have differing hardware
specs.

As I understand, the default spark launch scripts are incompatible with
per-node hardware configurations, but it seems I could compose custom
spark-conf.sh files for each slave to fully utilize its hardware.

Would the master take these per-node configurations into consideration when
allocating work? or would the cluster necessarily fall to the
lowest-common-hardware-denominator?

Is this an area which needs development? I might be willing to look into
attempting to introduce this functionality if it is lacking.