Hi All,

I have a Spark job for which I need to increase the amount of memory
allocated to the driver to collect a large-ish (>200M) data structure.
Formerly, I accomplished this by setting SPARK_MEM before invoking my
job (which effectively set memory on the driver) and then setting
spark.executor.memory before creating my spark context.  This was a
bit awkward since it wasn't clear exactly what SPARK_MEM was meant to
do (although in practice it affected only the driver).

Since the release of 1.0.0, I've started receiving messages saying to
set spark.executor.memory or SPARK_DRIVER_MEMORY.  This definitely
helps clear things up, but still feels a bit awkward since it seems
that most configuration can now be done from within the program
(indeed there are very few environment variables now listed on the
Spark configuration page).  Furthermore, SPARK_DRIVER_MEMORY doesn't
seem to appear anywhere in the web documentation.

Is there a better way to set SPARK_DRIVER_MEMORY, or some
documentation that I'm missing?

Is there a guiding principle that would help in figuring out which
configuration parameters are set through environment variables and
which are set programmatically, or somewhere to look in the source for
an exhaustive list of environment variable configuration options?

best,
-Brad