You just have to tell Spark which log4j properties file to use. I think
--driver-java-options="-Dlog4j.configuration=log4j.properties" should work
but it didn't for me. set
SPARK_JAVA_OPTS=-Dlog4j.configuration=log4j.properties did work though (this
was on Windows, in local mode, assuming you put a file called
log4j.properties in the bin directory where you run the shell from). In
either case, like Sean said -Dlog4j.configuration=... is the magic
incantation, you just have to figure out how to pass it depending on what
version of SPARK you're using ( I personally find setting
PRINT_SPARK_LAUNCH_COMMAND=1 very very useful when I'm trying to track a
property)