Hi,

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 11:49 PM, Johnny Kelsey <jkkel...@semblent.com>
wrote:

> As a concrete example, we have a python class (part of a fairly large
> class library) which, as part of its constructor, also creates a record of
> itself in the cassandra key space. So we get an initialised class & a row
> in a table on the cluster. My problem is this: should we even be doing this?

I think the problem you describe is not related to any programming
language. This is a design decision and/or good/bad programming, but it has
nothing to do with Python or Scala, if I am not mistaken.

Personally, I am a big fan of Scala because it's concise and provides me
with type checking at compile time. However, Scala might be harder to learn
than Python (in particular if you are already using Python) and while
execution of Scala code may be faster, the compiler is a quite heavy (in
terms of hardware requirements) and compile time is a bit lengthy, I'd say.

Tobias