Thanks for the help. Yes, I did not realize that the first header line has a
different separator.

By the way, is there a way to drop the first line that contains the header?
Something along the following lines:

      sc.textFile(inp_file)
          .drop(1)  // or tail() to drop the header line
          .map....  // rest of the processing

I could not find a drop() function or take the bottom (n) elements for RDD.
Alternatively, a way to create the case class schema from the header line of
the file  and use the rest for the data would be useful - just as a
suggestion.  Currently I am just deleting this header line manually before
processing it in Spark.

thanks