So the only way that I could make this work was to build a fat jar file as
suggested earlier.  To me (and I am no expert) it seems like this is a
bug.  Everything was working for me prior to our upgrade to Spark 1.1 on
Hadoop 2.2 but now it seems to not...  ie packaging my jars locally then
pushing them out to the cluster and pointing them to corresponding
dependent jars....

Sorry I cannot be more help!
ᐧ

*JIMMY MCERLAIN*